5.10.2013

Proof dreams do come true! Installment one: John Bellsmith extraordinaire

John and his coworkers. A talented staff!
I'm on a wild ride. Last summer I was counting down the days until Emerson entered the world and I could go on maternity leave - about seven weeks paid time off from work. How heavenly. After a crazy busy summer at the office, I was READY! Little did I know then that I'd return to work from maternity leave for a mere three weeks before I would encounter more time off (that whole being downsized thing).

Now I'm in an interesting place. I'm embarking on a journey to figure myself out and potentially be my own boss, but things are going slowly and the money is winding down, so it's likely I'll need to return to work full time and pursue my freelance career on the side.

However! I'm driven by motivation and inspiration, and I wanted to bring my readers a glimpse into the life of someone I respect dearly. Someone who is successful being his own boss ... someone to inspire us and to prove that dreams really do come true. Please give a warm welcome to my friend John Bellsmith of Bellsmith Graphic Design. 

John is a 46-year-old California native, husband and father, yet he's ageless. He can relate to a 5-year-old, a 25-year-old, and an 85-year-old all the same. That's something special. He's been with his wife for 22 years and they have a 9-year-old daughter. Prior to launching Bellsmith Graphic Design in 2007 (his official title on his Facebook profile is chief pencil pusher!), John spent three years pursuing a syndication deal for a comic strip and four years as assistant director for the Bay City Mall. He created and hosted the Hairball John Radio Show (with worldwide syndication) and also created "Insane for the Chains" disc golf apparel which is the largest-selling line of disc golf apparel. Might as well toss in the fact that he's created logos and apparel for two Olympians and was recently named the Young Professional of the Year by the Energize Bay Area Young Professionals Network.
One of the daily cartoons John draws for his daughter and puts in her lunchbox.
How brilliant is this!?

In addition to his career aspirations, John loves disc golf (I just watched The Real World cast play this on Wednesday's episode!), drawing daily cartoons for his daughters lunchbox (you must see these on Facebook!), listening to and collecting 80s hard rock music, playing softball and comic books. 
Basically he's a cool dude.


So I drafted some questions about going into business for himself and John took the time to provide some answers for me. Take a look, get inspired, and believe that you can reach your dreams!



A glimpse into the Bellsmith Graphic Design studio where all
the creativity happens.
What's been your biggest challenge since starting your own business?  My biggest challenge has been learning the business element.  Bookkeeping, accounting and taxes. As a one-person shop, I have had to find my way through all of the elements of a business and like most creative people, the analytical stuff is not fun.

Could you explain the strangest way you've ever secured a new client and/or new business?   Several years ago a friend/client was at a sports bar in Colorado making small talk with the man next to him. Turns out the man was Brian Shaw, World’s Strongest Man, and he was mentioning that he was in need of a logo, apparel, promotional materials and an overall marketing campaign. 
My friend handed him my card, Brian called me the next day, and we have worked together ever since.


Another example was while attending a hockey camp that a friend was attending in Traverse City.  I struck up a conversation with a gentleman, and it turned out he had just authored a book and was in need of a jacket design. The relationship blossomed into several book jackets, logo designs for his various companies and hockey team apparel design.

Being self employed, you can't necessarily take a break and vent or talk through ideas with a coworker when you need to. What do you do instead?  I vent on Facebook, watch the Daily Show on Hulu.com, go home to shoot baskets or throw the frisbee for my dog.

How do you stay motivated when you don't have a boss to answer to or a time clock to punch in? This could be my biggest struggle. Self discipline is not my strong suit, but deadlines and clients depending on me makes me come through. Luckily for me, my creativity and work pace are at their peak when under pressure.

What do you enjoy most about working for yourself?  Flexibility and control. I can attend most of my daughter's school functions just by adjusting my schedule. And I am in complete control over the direction of my business including the clients I take on and the projects I participate in.


If you could look back and change one thing, what would it be and why?  I really don’t have anything I would change. My first thought is to say that I would have gone out on my own sooner, but in looking back the time was right and the success can attest to that.

What tips do you have for someone looking to start a business?  Be willing to try any door that looks like it might be an opportunity.

Tell me, two-hour lunches, sports on TV during the afternoons, maybe an after-lunch-nap here and there ... what's the biggest perk of being self employed?  Leaving in the middle of beautiful summer afternoon to play a round of disc golf and then catching back up on projects in the calm, cool evenings with the door to my studio open.  

If there was one job you would close your business to go do, what would it be and why?  
A marketing director. I held the position of assistant marketing director and really enjoyed working with clients on advertising campaigns. Luckily I get to do a lot of this with my current client base.


What's the worst part of working for yourself?  There's no one to blame.  I really beat myself up when I make mistakes. I also am the WORST boss I have ever worked for!  LOL.

What else?  I now have a deep appreciation for every job I’ve ever had, including the unthankful retail and fast food jobs because every one of them instilled a skill in me that plays a vital role in my success. Also, being given the Young Professional of the Year award was extremely validating to my style of business.


Check out John's work here and like his Facebook page!



Know someone livin' the dream? Email me to nominate this person for a future Proof dreams do come true! blog post!

2 comments:

  1. We have worked with John Bellsmith for the past 4 years or so, he is by far the best in the business!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are absolutely correct. He is great!!! Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete