4.02.2013

If I was a kid, uncertainty would be easy!


Photo courtesy of www.sxc.hu.
On Easter Sunday I was sitting in a comfy recliner at my parents' house - hands free! - as Emerson was passed around from one family member to another. Some random drumming sounded from my iPhone ... new message!

My cousin had sent me a video clip of her one-year-old daughter Alex on a slide at the playground. I watched the video a couple times and studied Alex's body language and reaction as she took a new adventure down this slide. At the top she sat first, looking down the slide as her daddy coached and encouraged her to slide on down. She was apprehensive at first (probably thinking, "Daddy's nuts!") but as he rubbed his hands together to entice her on down, she started wiggling and within a few seconds her mouth opened in excitement as she slid down to the bottom and into her dad's arms. I bet she wanted to go again.


I started thinking about how Alex's slide adventure wasn't really all that different from my dive into attempting a full-time freelance writing career. Everyday children are faced with challenges and something new to try. I wonder how they feel inside. For me, I feel anxiety mixed with contentment. I hope over time the anxiety decreases and the contentment increases as I get the hang of this and adjust to a new normal since being downsized.

But really, how do kids do it!? The slide adventure was probably just one of a handful of new experiences Alex encountered that day. Life changes at nearly the speed of light at that age, but they embrace every moment. Sometimes it takes a little coaching, but they conquer fears day in and day out. Sometimes a bit apprehensive, but they don't mull over a decision for days or weeks. They just do it. Sometimes they like it - how Alex enjoyed her trip down the slide - and sometimes they don't, but they're not afraid to try the next new thing. So why should I be?

I think if adults had built-in blinders, life would be simpler. Alex didn't think about falling off the slide and getting hurt (obviously she's too young to know about that). She trusted her dad. If I could begin my adventure down a new career path without thinking about falling flat on my face, I would be much further in this process and have a lot less anxiety. If I could trust myself that I can do this and do it well, life would be simpler.

Photo courtesy of www.sxc.hu.
I had a similar observation with Emerson this weekend too. He's at the age where he's so observant and wiggly and chatty. I've started to realize what gets him excited. It's easy! When he wakes up from a nap and I pop over him with a smiling face to say hello, his arms and legs go crazy. The same happens when I press the button to make the stuffed chick he got from the Easter Bunny bounce and giggle. His arms and legs move a million miles an hour.

One of the most difficult things about the process of being downsized is really digging deep and identifying what truly gets you excited. I've found that hard to figure out because there are so many factors that affect your thinking, like money and family and moving. But what if I was presented with a career path and immediately my arms and legs started flailing. I'd know at that moment if I was excited, without other thoughts influencing my feelings.

But maybe it can be that simple? Maybe I just haven't reached that clarifying moment yet? It becomes a bit harder for me each day as many of my former coworkers are accepting new positions and moving on with their careers. I feel like I'm going at a turtle pace. When will I know what I'm supposed to be doing? Maybe if I try to think more like a child, I'll find my answer. If I think through the eyes of my 4-month-old son, maybe I'll reach that clarifying moment where my arms are flailing, my mouth is open with excitement, and as I slide down my new career opportunity I think to myself, "Let's go again!"

What do you think adults can learn from children? Share in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment