3.28.2013

Dream It, Do It - The Playlist (installment one)

Since I 95 percent decided to pursue a full-time freelance career after I was downsized, I've had days where I've felt like I could make all my life dreams come true followed by a gut-wrenching feeling that I won't be able to pay my bills and my family and I will be holding up signs that say "feed me" on the corner of Titabawassee and Bay. Emerson can wear one like a bib.

Yikes.




I've gotten pretty good at ignoring the negative thoughts and embracing the positive ones. I invested in a desk decoration that quotes Walt Disney "If you can dream it, you can do it." I found an inspirational book of quotes that says "Go for it!" I've listened and forced myself to believe the wonderful words from my family members and friends.

All of this stuff is great for motivation and confidence and chasing your dreams. But honestly, nothing beats a good song lyric with a melody to push you to do things you've thought were unreachable. I previously used songs as a way to push myself to sprint that extra few minutes on the treadmill. Now I'm applying this concept to my career.

So here we go. The first three songs to my Dream It, Do It playlist. And for this only, I'll turn my head away from all the grammatically incorrect song lyrics.

Lose Yourself, by Eminem (watch the video)
How could I make a motivational playlist and leave this song off of it. Lose Yourself is by the highly controversial, profanity-stricken white rapper Eminem (not M&M) from Detroit. He first made me realize that there is an 8 Mile other than the 8 Mile dirt road I passed by every day on my way to school as a teenager. Aside from a few swear words (but come on, sometimes it feels good to curse!), this song should be at the top of everyone's list. Why? Eminem took his career from a junky trailor park to MTV. He knows what it's like to dream a dream, then go out and get it. I like him. And this song has a killer beat.

Let's take a look at the first lyric of the song.

Look, if you had one shot, or one opportunity to seize everything you ever wanted in one moment, would you capture it, or just let it slip?

Right now is my opportunity. My one shot to go after what I've wanted in life, to be a writer. Hell yeah I'll capture it!

The song goes on to explain his struggle and how he'll never back down to his dream. How does it end?

So here I go it's my shot. Feet fail me not, this may be the only opportunity that I got. You can do anything you set your mind to, man.

Yep, I can!


Hall of Fame, by The Script (watch the video)
I studied abroad in college and spent some time in Ireland. The script is Irish. They already stole a special place in my heart before I heard this song. Actually, I had listened to this song probably more than a hundred times on Sirius XM's Hits One station, and sure it was catchy but I had no idea the motivation in the lyrics until a few Fridays ago. My husband and I were driving home from my parents' house for dinner and it came on the radio. I was in the passenger seat as he started singing "you can be the king kong banging on your chest!" and took his fist to his chest and pounded away. Huh!? I googled the lyrics immediately.

Yeah you could be the greatest, you can be the best. You can be the king kong banging on your chest ... Don't wait for luck. Dedicate yourself and you can find yourself standing in the hall of fame ... You could be the hero. You could get the gold, breaking all the records that thought never could be broke ... Do it for your people. Do it for your pride. Never gonna know if you never even try.

I hate regret. Most regret stems from thinking "what if" because you never took a chance. I refuse to live with that regret any longer.


I Won't Back Down, by Tom Petty (watch the video)
Everyone loves Tom Petty. I hadn't really remembered this song much though because I don't think it was as popular as his "Free Fallin'." But this past September I was intrigued with the Democratic National Convention's choice of songs, and as President Obama took the stage, this song sent a blaring message from the speakers. He ain't backing down. Ever. That moment gave the song author chills. It gave me chills too! This song is short and sweet.

Well I know what's right, I got just one life. In a world that keeps on pushin' me around, but I'll stand my ground, and I won't back down.

I guess this song pretty much sums up being downsized. I got pushed around, pushed down. But I guarantee - GUARANTEE - I won't ever let that happen again. I'll give 100 percent to a company, but I always will keep my best interests in mind. And I won't ever let anyone or any company make me feel like I'm not good enough. I won't back down. Ever.


Stay tuned for songs four, five and six of the Dream It, Do It playlist in a future post! What recommendations for motivational songs do you have for me? Share them in the comments below!



6 comments:

  1. So I'm on my phone and I can't look it up but that one song by Destiny's Child after the one chick left? About surviving after your told you won't...

    ReplyDelete
  2. how about Don't Stop Thinking about Tomorrow

    or the song that is guaranteed to to start shivers down my spine - Edith Piaf 'Je ne regrette rien' (listen to it in French to get the full effect but you can see the english translation here)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Lose Yourself" is my all-time favorite - just go out and get it done song! Good for you, Rachel, for continuing to make your dreams happen even if it's a little scary at times.
    PS - Journey, "Don't Stop Believing"

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE "Lose Yourself"! It got me through my first 5k race last year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE "Lose Yourself"! It got me through my first 5k race last year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Asking questions are truly pleasant thing if you are
    not understanding something completely, however this paragraph
    gives nice understanding even.

    Feel free to surf to my blog; best Supplements for joints

    ReplyDelete