4.24.2013

Dream It, Do It - The Playlist (installment two)

Photo courtesy of http://www.sxc.hu.
I'm back after a couple weeks off from blogging. I got busy! My freelance gig took a good portion of my time and had me up until 4 a.m. a couple nights. My mind was tired, so I spent the rest of my free time recovering. My mood also has taken a downturn since I last blogged. I lost my mojo. I had one cryfest, and at 30 years old, hugs from my parents still helped make me feel better. Is it the weather? It's 39 degrees and rainy today. Now I'm not one for hot weather, but I could use some sunshine on my cheeks and benefit from inhaling some fresh air. Siiiiigh. It's almost May, so warmer, brighter days have got to be on the horizon.

OOOOOKKK. So when trying to get back into the blogging mindset, I decided there's no better direction to go than to revisit my Dream It, Do It playlist and add three more songs. I need the motivation today. It's essential.

Here we go! (Oh, and in case you missed installment one of this series, check it out here!)



Gives You Hell, by All American Rejects



There's nothing wrong with using a little anger as motivation toward attaining a goal. I used this song for just that back in 2008 when I broke up with my mean ex-boyfriend. This song would get me through a tough sprint on the treadmill, thinking about our past as I ran for my future.

Back then it was these lyrics that got me running harder, running faster.
And truth be told I miss you, and truth be told I'm lying. When you see my face hope it gives you hell, hope it gives you hell. When you walk my way hope it gives you hell, hope it gives you hell.
Today this song makes sense for this new life situation too. It makes sense when I'm feeling mad at the world. The bills that need to be paid. The neighbor's music that thumps far too loudly. The email that goes unanswered. The damn ottoman I've stubbed the same toe on three times this week. The dreams that sometimes seem impossible to capture. The senseless acts of violence from one country to another.

So in my mind, I dedicate this song to everything that pisses me off and distracts me from what's really important in life. I'm gonna give you hell! And the opening lyrics are somewhat fitting too.
And you're still probably working at a 9 to 5 pace. I wonder how bad that tastes.


Try, by Pink



OK, so this song probably was written about a relationship with another person, but I like to see it as the relationship I have with myself and with my dreams.
Where there is desire there is gonna be a flame. Where there is a flame someone's bound to get burned. But just because it burns doesn't mean you're gonna die. You gotta get up and try and try and try. You gotta get up and try and try and try.
In this case, my desire is my dream. It's what I feel passionate about. It sparks a flame inside me. Ahhh, but then there is the ever-impending momentary flop or failure. It would be crazy to think I could achieve my goals without a hiccup. I'll get burned. I'll get burned, but it won't kill me. I'll get up again, and try, and try, and try.


This One's for the Girls, by Martina McBride



This song is timeless. I remember loving this song in college. I was finding myself. I thought I found myself, until my world came crashing down in January. Now, I think I'm still finding myself. I'll probably always be finding myself. This song is a kick-ass girl anthem. In a business world dominated by men, I'm going to kick ass as a woman.
This one's for the girls. This is for all you girls about 25. In a little apartment, just trying to get by. Living on, on dreams and spaghetti-os. Wondering where your life is gonna go.
It's interesting because at 25, I was living in a 600 square foot condo, in a dead-end, all-wrong relationship that made me crazy, thinking about where life is supposed to take me. I remember listening to this song then. The next year I landed a new job, quit my ex-boyfriend and bought a 1,750 square foot house. I've triumphed in the past and although I thought I was beyond having to triumph again, I've learned that at any age you can choose to think like you're 25 again. I'm still chasing dreams. But with more determination and confidence this time.


OK, so because that last one was so overly girly, let me throw in one more song for this blog post. This one's for the boys.

Don't Stop Believin', by Journey


(Here's the Glee version for a modern take)


Another classic! (And thanks for the recommendation, Leslie!) I love this song! It reminds me of weddings. And college.
Some will win, some will lose. Some were born to sing the blues ... It goes on and on and on and on ... Don't stop believin. Hold on to the feelin'.
This song weaves through the lives of people just living. Living every day trying to find what makes them tick. Trying to find a sense of accomplishment. Going anywhere to find it. Some will win, some will lose. Believe. Believe you will win. Ahhhhh, I believe!


The playlist isn't complete! Stay tuned for songs eight, nine and 10 of the Dream It, Do It playlist in a future post! What recommendations for motivational songs do you have for me? Share them in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment