2.19.2013

360 degrees of emotion: my first interview post-downsizing

Last Friday morning I woke up before the sunrise for the first time in weeks. The house was quiet except for the humming of the furnace on a very cold February day. I opened my eyes, dreading getting out of bed, and looked to my right to admire my baby boy sleeping soundly in his bassinet, his eyelids fluttering.


I wondered what he might be dreaming about. I hadn't had much time for dreaming that night. By the time I put myself to bed, it was after 2 a.m. And even then, I couldn't sleep. The alarm screamed at 5:45. Snooze, snooze, snooooooooooooooze. Ahh, must ... get ... up.

I backed down my driveway, weary eyed, and drove down my snowy street to the stop sign. Instead of turning left like I did every workday for the past two years, I turned right. Instead of heading north, I traveled south.

It was my first interview since being downsized.

I cried.

I wasn't expecting to be so overcome with emotion. Things finally felt REAL. I should have been excited, but it wasn't the first thing I felt. Instead, I felt brokenhearted. I felt like I wasn't ready to date again. My heart still belonged to something else. I thought to myself, "I shouldn't have to be doing this."

I had 80 minutes to digest all of this. Then I had to put on my brave face. It was game time.

I'm not sure if I hit a home run, but I feel like I played well enough to win. And if it doesn't turn out to be a win in the form of a job offer, it was still a win for me.

They say when you break up with someone, you need a rebound to get over the relationship. In this case, my first interview was my rebound. Now I'm ready! I want to put myself out there, take a chance. Illustrate what I'm capable of. Convince someone that I'm worth it. I'm totally worth it. I know it in my guts. And when I let negative thoughts creep in, I quickly shoo them away. I'm getting better at this everyday.

On the drive home, I felt refreshed. The sun was shining. I was shining. I called my husband. I called my mom. I called my dad. I called my old work BFF. I felt optimistic. I felt ... relieved. I hadn't realized the anxiety that the anticipation of this first interview had given me. I took myself out to lunch. I had a drink.

I did it. Like I've said time and time again, life goes on. It doesn't always look the same from one day to the next, but it moves forward. I know I'm living a big life lesson right now, and one day I will look back and be so grateful for how this experience changed me.

So now I wait for my phone to ring, for an email to come. If I get rejected, I know I'll be bummed, but it won't destroy me because I have faith that everything will fall into place. It has to. It always has.

If you like what you read here, subscribe to my posts or follow by email on the right!

4 comments:

  1. Good to see your positive thoughts, never give up on yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rhonda Bartes2/19/13, 8:59 AM

    Great writing Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy reading your blogs. You are a talented writer. Good things will happen for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the comments ladies! Maybe it's time to dive into this freelance writing career I've always dreamt about.

    ReplyDelete